These dessert bars are exactly as described… A DREAM.
The best part: they’re healthy and totally easy to make too. This isn’t a special recipe I created at all, it’s literally just the recipe on the back of the Trader Joes Organic Maca Powder bag… I just renamed it because I thought it’s name needed to match it’s taste. Try them out for yourself!
What you need:
- 1 to 2 Tbsp Trader Joes Organic Maca Powder
- 1 cup macadamia nuts or cashews (cashews = salty, macadamias = more sweet)
- 1 cup dried pitted dates ( I used the Organic Pitted Halawi Dates from Trader Joes)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp cacao powder
- Water as needed (1 tsp at a time)
What to do:
- Add all ingredients except water to a for processor and blend until the mixture is finely chopped and sticky enough to roll into a soft dough.
- Test texture: roll a small piece in the palm of your hand. If it sticks together and forms a ball, it’s ready to form bars. If it’s dry and does not come together, add water one teaspoon at a time until the dough sticks. (I needed 2 tsp)
- Press blended contents into a lined (I just used wax paper) 8×8 pan and freeze for 45 minutes (the recipe on the bag calls for a half hour at least but to be safe go with at least 45 minutes).
- After the dough stiffens cut into bars and store back in the freezer. (I just placed mine in a glass pyrex container and called it a day.)
They’re completely vegan and gluten free.
These are seriously such a great little snack for when you’re running around or to lazy to make an actual meal. Totally healthy so I’m not mad that my husband is obsessed with them.
Give them a try and let me know what you think! xo